Our occupational therapists provide services to children and adults whose ability to cope with the tasks of daily living is threatened or impaired by trauma and/or burn injuries. Treatment may include assessment and training in activities of daily living; hand function skills; prosthetics; environmental alterations; positioning techniques; visual, perceptual and cognitive skills; orthotics training; and use of adaptive equipment.
Trauma Burn Center occupational therapy treatment may include:
- Working to get people back to activities of daily living such as eating, dressing and bathing after a trauma or burn accident
- Fabricating all splinting on the unit for both burn and trauma patients
- Evaluating the patient's ability to swallow to determine if it is safe to eat after trauma
- Helping the patient to maintain and restore upper extremity range of motion
Our physical therapists evaluate and treat both adult and pediatric trauma and burn injured patients by providing individualized and specialized physical therapy programs.
Trauma Burn Center physical therapy treatment may include:
- Therapeutic exercise
- Mobility training
- Airway clearance techniques
- The use of assistive devices
- Neuromuscular re-education
Our overall goal is to optimize the patient's physical mobility and function through treatment and education.